Jump to navigation Jump to search
What we have been doing at Little House
You can read about previous activity at What we did last year
"There's no such thing as a hyper-lion"
- Andy made the laser cutting be good
- Garrett was playing with the LED light
- PeterH laser cut a railway building
- Attendance tonight = 4
- PeterH continued modelling
- Adam is modifying a Nerf gun
- Jon and Andy spent all evening working on the laser cutter, removing the mirrors and taking more measurements.
- Jamie experimented with an electronic timer, which will be part of his brewing controller
- Garret brought a trap suitable for catching small haggis. It was interesting to analyse exactly how, or why, it works.
- Garret also dissected a LED domestic light for his, and our, knowledge.
- Hi to PaulB who benefitted from the sunshine in S.Africa over Christmas.
- PaulE is developing short-range radio, and was looking at alternative types of track for another project
- Attendance tonight = 10
- Vish and new vistors Carmella and Yasmin were investigating plastic recycling via shredding and cooking
- PeterH played with trains
- Attendance tonight = 5
- PeterH glued a railway track
- Andy and Jon worked on the laser cutter. After last week's cleanup, they were measuring laser power and investigating the state of the optics. ChrisR helped with temperature measurement.
- PaulB looked in for a short while
- Welcome to some new faces:
- Neil came to meet us. He will be back
- Adam would like to gain new skills. Arduino, maybe?
- Jamie is planning a controller for brewing and is looking for advice on the electrical side of things
- Gavin and Isobel came to use the laser cutter. As it was under maintenance they will come back another week.
- Hi to MartinB as well.
- Attendance tonight = 12
- Jon and Andy came in to do some tinkering with the laser cutter
- modify a plastic crate so we could soak the honeycomb bed of the cutter in Zep.
- removed the honeycomb bed of the cutter to soak
- broke the 'quick release fitting that attaches the hose to the tap
- made a shopping list of what else we needed in screwfix
- realised that it was a Bank Holiday and screwfix was probably closed :(
- texted IanB in the hope he might have one - he did - and he brought it round for us (along with a donated PC).
- repeatedly pressure washed the honeycomb - not perfect, but much better.
- cleaned, washed and vacuumed all the insides of the laser cutter case.
- spent some time making measurements of the laser power using our'dohicky'.
- spent some time aligning the laser tube to see if power could be improved - there is probably room for some improvement still, we seem to lose a lot of power at each 'bounce' in the optical path.
- have concluded that a spare lens and some spare mirrors are worth having.
- need to investigate cleaning techniques for the mirrors and lens.
- Attendance today = 2